On the 10 year anniversary of 9/11, San Francisco remembers those that died in the terrorist attacks and honors the first responders who rushed in to save lives. Many of the victims of that fateful day had family and friends in the Bay Area, and we join all Americans in mourning their tragic loss.
The events of September 11, 2001 redefined our nation, not only in the scope of the tragedy but also in the demonstration of compassion and generosity that occurred in the hours, weeks and months following. In San Francisco, and around the country, individuals stepped up to give blood, collect donations and volunteer their time as a show of support for our nation.
This year in San Francisco, we will rekindle this spirit of unity by coming together at major community gatherings from remembrance services to cultural and sporting events. Below is a list of events that are occurring the weekend of the September 10-11. Please note that this is not a comprehensive list of all activities and is still in development.
Saturday, September 10, 2011
Sunday, September 11, 2011
- 2nd Annual SF Memorial Stair Climb at the TransAmerica Building, 7:30am - 4pm
- HandsOn Bay Area at the War Memorial Building, 9:30am
- SFPD/SFFD Annual Mass at St. Monica's Church 470 24th Avenue, 10:30am - 1pm
- Castro Street 9/11 Observance at Harvey Milk Plaza, Castro and Market, 1pm
- SF Giants vs. LA Dodgers at AT&T Park, 1:05pm
- SF 49ers vs. Seattle at Candlestick Park, 1:15pm
- Annual SF Opera in the Park in Sharon Meadows in Golden Gate Park, 2pm (City’s official civic observance of the 9/11 anniversary)
- Susan B. Komen Breast Cancer 3 Day Walk at Marina Green- Closing Ceremony, 3pm - 4pm
- The University of San Francisco and St. Ignatius Parish's 9/11 service at St. Ignatius Church, 8pm
If you would like your event to be added to this list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Please note these tributes are provided to the Mayor's Office by third party organizers. Please confirm event details, including dates, times and location, with the organizers of each event listed. The Mayor’s Office is not responsible for any changes of times, dates or cancellations of these events, but will make every effort to update this information.